Sunday, April 15, 2012

Spring Planting

Keelyn and I have decided that we need to plant vegetables this year.  She has developed a love for fresh veggies especially celery (thanks Wonder Pets) carrots, cucumbers and peas.  We have never planted vegetables before and to be honest I kind of have a "brown thumb" so I am worried about how it is going to go.  But I have decided to start with seeds in small pots and then we will transfer them to the garden that daddy is digging out for us.  I'm pretty sure that this will be a fail but I figure Keelyn will get the experience of planting seeds and seedlings from the nursery are pretty cheap and she won't know the difference.  Our lettuce and cucumber seeds have sprouted however and she is very excited about the development.

I've thought of a ton of great extension activities we can do with planting. We've been reading Lois Ehlert's book "Planting a Rainbow" and making connections to what we are doing.  I've also planned this week to go for a neighbourhood walk and search for "signs of Spring"  I'm going to give her our old digital camera and she can take some pictures of signs we see and then we are going to make our own book about Spring.  We are also going to make up some cute garden markers for our veggies that use old spoons, paper, pictures and mod podge that is in the May issue of Today's Parent magazine.

I'll keep you posted as to how the vegetables grow.  Any pointers?

All the necessary supplies.  Seeds, pots, dirt, and spoons of course!

Don't forget the gardening gloves!

Carefully scooping the dirt in.  She did this all by herself, I was so proud!
This was so fun! 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I've totally been meaning to do some planting with Mace, and I LOVE your idea of s spring walk! It's so funny, as a teacher I totally do all these types of things with my students, but I always never wind up doing it with those who are most important - my own kids. :)

    ReplyDelete