Monday, July 9, 2012

William Has Been Handed His Eviction Notice!

I almost don't want to write this but William is sleeping in his crib.  In his shared room with his big sister Keelyn. Tonight we handed him his eviction notice.  We decided to go for it after frequently waking him during our bed time.  He is such a light sleeper.  His big sister however could sleep through a drum solo outside her door.  According to her baby sitter, she has in fact done this!  

I was really nervous how bed time would play out  but it went smoother than anticipated.  Keelyn has been a monkey lately pulling out all the excuses but she was so happy to have her little brother there that there was none of that! We did our bed time routines, Daddy read the stories while I nursed and rocked William in the chair.  Once Daddy left Keelyn only had a few questions to ask me and then started to nod off.  She was out 10 minutes later.  William took a bit longer but he is happily snoozing.  Let's hope it lasts a bit longer then teh previous nights.  I don't need a miracle an 8 hour stretch isn't necessary but 4 or 5 would be nice.

William continues to be a tough guy when it comes to sleeping.  Night time is rough, naps are worse.  I've read a total of 4 books about sleep training and I've come to the conclusion that the Cry it Out (CIO) method is not for me.  It just doesn't work with my parenting style and beliefs.  I've been co-sleeping to survive so how do I go from my little guy all snugged up against me to leaving him alone in his bed.  Anyway a friend of mine sensed my frustration and she gave me a book to read called, "The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Program" by Polly Moore.  I've heard a lot about 90 minute sleep cycles so it isn't really a new concept for me but I decided to give it a go.  When I read this in her introduction, "As a mother, I understand that no sleeep program will work if it asks you go act against your instincts," I knew it was right for me.  Admittedly I am only a few pages in and I am not certain if it's going to be a fix for William but it can't hurt.  My husband Phil is going to be on Keelyn duty for a few days in a row and I'm going to work on his naps.  

Wish me luck!

Let's hope this book is the cure for our rough sleeper!

A big "hello" from my own bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment