Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Healthy Cookie?

I know cookies aren't suppose to be healthy. But I am trying to lose my baby weight, and Keelyn and I love to bake. It's just way to hard for me to resist bake goods no matter how hard I try! I decided to try a healthy oatmeal cookie as I am a breast feeding mom who struggles with supply and oatmeal helps to increase it. A quick google search and tons came up. I went with the first that had all the ingredients I had, and had good reviews. It ended up being a banana oatmeal cookie that was a very simple recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/healthy-banana-cookies/

Ingredients
3 ripe bananas
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in oats, dates, oil, and vanilla. Mix well, and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown.

I made some changes though. Bonuses 1/3 cup of applesauce instead of oil. I put in 1 tbsp of cinnamon, 2 tbsp of ground flax and 5 tbsp of brewers yeast (also good for lactation).

Keelyn was not really impressed she kept saying, "why are you putti that in mama?" she pulled a funny face and climbed off the chair to go and play which she never does and she wouldn't taste the batter. Not so promising. She did come back a few minutes later and had a change of heart. She even said the batter tastes good.

The texture looks right and the smell is amazing as they bake. However the taste is not right. They taste good, but more like a healthy granola bar than a cookie.  A bit than I thought considering hey don't having sugar.  There is something to be said for chocolate chips, brown sugar and butter!

I am still in search of a great healthy cookie recipe? Care to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment